Happy Monday! Hope you’re ready for a very chatty Monday Mentions!
It’s been a while since I did a new round of this wrap of mine, so I figured today would be a great day! I’ve been hanging out more around the house because of some work trainings, so I’ve had some more time to watch TV, movies, and just discover some new things!
October is moving along quickly and I’m really looking forward to Halloween! I am going to be handing out candy to trick-or-treaters this year, but I’ll be doing it while standing on one end of the driveway and having them take candy on the bottom. I’m not sure if I’m going to set out a few buckets of candy and have the kids take one or if I’ll be using the candy shoot that everyone is showing on Facebook with the PVC pipe, by my driveway isn’t sloped so we’ll see. If you’re planning on passing out how are you doing it?
My new job is going well, too! If you missed it, I started on August 10th so I’ve been working in the child welfare realm for only two short months, but I’m really enjoying it. It’s a busy job, but it’s an important one, and I’m excited to see where this career choice takes me.
So far my October book buying ban is going…. well. I literally just bought like 10 books from Thriftbooks and Better World Books as I was writing this but other than that and like two Kindle books for sale I’m going well lol I did clean out my shelves last week and went ahead and pulled some to sell back to Half Price Books, so that’s progress! I just want to focus more on the books I own and haven’t read yet. It can be so hard to balance reading your older TBR with the new releases and ARCs and partner copies. It gets a bit crazy.
Okay, well I think I did enough gabbing, so let’s discuss some of my newer favorite things!
Here’s the thing, I’m trash for the Jurassic World franchise. I’ve always loved the Jurassic Park movies, but I love love love the newer ones especially with the better animation and actors like Chris Pratt heading up the movies. So. Good. We got news on the third movie and that’s a date and a poster! It’s coming Summer 2022, which is a bummer because I thought it was coming out next Summer, but I guess I can wait. The wait has been a little easier though with the release of Camp Cretaceous! I think I only have like three episodes left of the first season, but I actually love it! It’s so cute and funny and I love me some dinosaur action, so it delivers on everything. That and my DVD collection of the first two Jurassic World movies is what’s getting me through, for sure.
The Great British Baking Show
I think I’m super behind on this, but I finally started watching GBBS and I am obsessed. It’s so cozy, it’s so fun, it’s so damn British. It reminds me of my favorite elements of a cozy mystery minus the murder lol – BUT it’s so nice and it’s really reminded me how much I adore baking. I even went ahead and made myself a pound cake and some brownies after watching one day. I’m going back and watching from the beginning, not the new episodes, so I’m not hip to the newest season, but I’ll get there!
Gravity Falls is like one of my favorite shows EVER and is on a near constant re-watch status at my house, so I’m going back and starting it over! I don’t know if I’ve talked about it here yet, but this is like the best cartoon I’ve ever seen! It’s so funny, creative, original, has a great story line, and is just really expertly made. It stands the test of time and I have a feeling it’ll always have very special place in my heart and on my TV.
- The Resurgence of Historical Romance Novels from The Hofstra Chronicle and featuring book blogging royalty like LaceyBookLovers and PeaceLoveBooksxo!
- New Rule Set by Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners from the Texas Tribune that talks about how absolutely bonkers and ridiculously stupid the social work board is here.
- Advocacy Alert from the Texas NASW talking about the decision and sharing a petition to reverse this change! Please sign if you can!
- Cupboard Maker Books spotlight from Only in Your State- my favorite bookstore in Pennsylvania, and probably ever!
- The Sun Down Motel Review from Kristen at Kristen Kraves Books – One of my absolute favorite mystery books get a stellar review! We love to see it!
- Six for Sunday from Becca at toastiebooks – She shares six books that gave her all the feels! We love an emotional read!
- The Fall Bucket List Book Tag from Yesha at Books Teacup and Reviews – Such a fun and festive book tag!
- Christmas at Fireside Cabins Review from Berit at Audio Killed the Bookmark – One of my favorite blog teams, I love their simple and succinct reviews with the added fun of emoji reviews! Also, Holiday reads for the WIN!
- Women in Horror from Amanda at If There’s a Haunted House in it I’ll Read it – Such a fun and creative post! Perfect for October and to showcase women in such a male dominated genre.
No podcast updates this time around. I’ve been trying to focus more on audiobooks and I’ve been going back and relistening to all the old Small Town Murder episodes I don’t usually relisten to.
Tell me what you’re reading, watching, listening to, and doing!